This is the audio version of the newsletter which began in 2019 with a midlife account of Kili at 50 and Hiking Kilimanjaro on the Machame Route.
I share essays and letters on important matters and nonsense. The Music in Prose is a regular feature which includes the best writing and ideas, hitting the keynotes on why such stories stay with you.
Subscribe on your favorite podcast platform. And, try the TreeHouseLetter for free.
“I adore your podcasts; each and every one is a little gem. You never say three words when two will do. Everything you do shows unusual respect and appreciation for our listeners’ time and intelligence.”
Buzz, former Managing Editor for all News & Public Affairs Programming at WHRB-FM/Harvard Radio Broadcasting.
- Jan 3 Punch In, Punch Out: the Profession and the Side Hustle
- Jan 9 Pity and Practical – Time in Memoir
- Nov 30 Giving Thanks for Dissent and Cookies
- Nov 15 On Perfect Love and Longing
- Nov 6 “Kinda This, Kinda That” in the Mid-Pack
- Oct 13 What to Say When People Thank You for Your Miltitary Service
- Oct 3 Everyone Should Write
- Oct 3 What can music teach us about writing?
- Sep 15 Reading for Foodies: Crying in H-Mart
- Sep 13 Bringing Writers and Readers Together, Key Messages for THL
- Sep 6 “Old Age is Not for the Young”
- Aug 25 What Book Would You Take to a Desert Island?
- Aug 19 Charlie Munger and the Art of Swearing
- Aug 17 The Sentence Fragment
- Aug 10: No Ordinary Hike: Marchback for the USMA Class of 2026
- Aug 1: On Fighting and Writing: Blackwing and Bruce Lee
- July 22: Spandrel: Byproduct of Evolution and Thing of Beauty
- July 17: Thoughts on Music and the Brain
- July 8: Essays that changed me: Alison Lurie and ‘When most boys… joined the armed services.’
- Jun 23: Simba the Designer Dog? The Perfect Combination of 5 Breeds
- Jun 23: Notes on a Year of Love
- Jun 10: Why I Write
- June 7: “The Q-tips Are for Your M4” and the Art of the Paragraph
- May 30: “Keep the Faith for Which They Died”
- May 27: The Last Recital
- May 22: “Django with One Finger,” a Living Music Icon
- May 16: On Puppies and Babies: a “Communion with Terror“
- May 4: What Makes a Speech Great? An Admiral Tells 3 Stories
- May 3: Exercises in Style, a Writing Tribute
- April 25: 1000 Push-ups? Getting Comfortable with Being Uncomfortable
- April 19: Beside Counselor on Parenting in Anger, in Two Translations
- April 8: What I Learned Walking with a Friend
- April 4: A Poet Warrior Learns Kindness
- April 1: A Fool is Full and a Pool not a Pull
- March 28: Three Sunsets in One Day
- March 22: Each Sentence Reflects 3 Choices
- March 17: Spicy Rooster and a Coffee Outpost
- March 13: Firecracker and a Humble Queen
- March 10: Essays that changed me: Rachel Cusk and “Making Home”